Before It's News | Popular NEWS

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Check out these tips from a 70-year-old survival expert with 50 years of teaching experience


How can you tell if a “survival expert” really knows his/her stuff? Here is one who has 50 years experience in the field.


by Leon Pantenburg


In my book, instructor Peter Kummerfeldt is in a class all his own when it comes to wilderness survival.


I met Peter about 12 years ago at the Central Oregon Sportsman Show, when I stopped by a seminar he was teaching. I was curious, more than anything else. After all, I’d been canoeing, backpacking and backcountry hunting for decades myself, and I felt like I knew my way around the wilderness.


The seminar was a born-again experience for me. In 45 minutes, I learned several things I was doing wrong, equipment I was carrying that needed to be dumped, and learned some tips and techniques I’ve used regularly ever since.


I went to every seminar Peter taught that day, and later stopped by his booth to get acquainted.


Since then, Peter has been my go-to guy for any questions about wilderness survival. His work has appeared frequently here, and Peter has his own category in SurvivalCommonSense.com.


This year marks his final speaking tour. Check it out at Oregonianlive.

Peter Kummerfeldt has walked the talk in the wilderness survival field for decades.


Peter Kummerfeldt

Peter Kummerfeldt



Born in Kenya, East Africa, Peter came to America in 1965 and joined the U.S. Air Force. He is a graduate of the Air Force Survival Instructor Training School and has served as an instructor at the Basic Survival School, Spokane, Washington; the Arctic Survival School, Fairbanks, Alaska, and the Jungle Survival School, Republic of the Philippines. For twelve years, Peter was the Survival Training Director at the United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado. He retired from the Air Force in 1995 after 30 years of service.


In 1992, concerned with the number of accidents that were occurring in the outdoors annually and the number of tourists traveling overseas who were involved in unpleasant and sometimes life-threatening incidents Peter created OutdoorSafe.com


He is the author of Surviving a Wilderness Emergency and has addressed over 20,000 people as the featured speaker at numerous seminars, conferences and national conventions.


Check out Peter’s blog at: OutdoorSafe.blogspot.com


Follow Me on Pinterest


Please click here to check out and subscribe to the SurvivalCommonSense.com YouTube channel, and here to subscribe to our weekly email update – thanks!






Read more about Check out these tips from a 70-year-old survival expert with 50 years of teaching experience

No comments:

Post a Comment